gear shop > gob-loc > how to use Mk1
Read the weight of the fish where the edge of plastic handle reveals the engraved markings. Weight is shown in kilograms and pounds.
Using the GOB-LOC Mk1.
To capture the fish
- Place the lanyard loop over your wrist.
- Grasp the GOB-LOC firmly in your preferred hand.
- Hold the claw assembly open by pulling back on the grasp flange with your
- Enclose the lower jaw of the fish with the GOB-LOC claws - one claw in
the fish's mouth, the other under its chin. Aim to have
the GOB-LOC claws close on the membranous tissue behind the maxilla (jaw
- Release the grasp by lifting your thumb off the flange. The GOB-LOC claws
wil snap shut and lock around the fish's jaw. Be prepared for a possible
reaction from the fish and keep a firm grip on the handle.
NOTE: Fish that have been played out usually don't struggle very much.
- Remove the hook(s) using long-nosed pliers or a hook out device.
To weigh the fish
- Hold the fish vertically in front of you, using two hands, and read the
weight in kgs or lbs from the corresponding scale.
- Work as quickly as possible to minimise
stress to the fish.
Cock the GOB-LOC Mk1 in readiness for capturing a fish.
The GOB-LOC Mk1 is operated in much the same way as the GOB-LOC 1226 and
2860 models. The main difference is that it does not have a trigger mechanism
to actuate the jaws.